12 October, 2011

Happy Birthday - Paula's Turn

Hi Funky Hand fans

Thanks for coming back to read this post.  I'm all excited about this challenge as it's a nice and easy one -after all, don't we all make loads of Birthday cards as crafters?

The very lovely and talented Jenny started this months challenge off HERE to co-incide with the launch of the very latest of the Funky Hand Papercraft Factory CD's aptly named 'HAPPY HAPPY BIRTHDAY' - in the meantime, the design team has been entertaining our eyes and stirring up our crafting juices with their fabulous projects - wow, and aren't there are some corkers this month?  Well for me, I've just played it safe and done a couple of cards for you.  I was on too much of a roll to stop at just the one though - and truth be known, I didn't stop at two either!!! ;o)

Here is the first one i've brought for you:


This might look like I followed a sketch - but truth is, I was at this layout for ages - and wish I had have followed one, but I was really happy with how it turned out.  This is nice, pink and girly and suitable for a girly girl young or old and used papers from the Birthday Girl collection.

The next one is quite bold in contrast to the first one using papers mostly from the Birthday Gal collection.  This is the front of the card which is a square gatefold:

and a peek inside the card:

I won't show you all of the cards I did, but I do want to share a secret with you.    I have used scraps on all of the cards I made and haven't purposely printed anything off for these two cards (although I had pre-planned the sentiment on the second card above).  You see, when I first got the CD, I had been having printer problems, so my sister kindly lent me her spare one until I got sorted again.  Just incase, I thought I would print off a few of the design papers.  I'd also printed loads of the digi stamps off (as you do) - so I currently have quite a boxful of those - but those corners are another thing.  I became a bit addicted to them so printed them out in other colours by shrinking the design papers on the workspace... those corners make such a difference to a card... give it a try - try your design with, then without a corner - you don't even need to do all four - and you'll soon see what your card was missing.

If you want to create a mirror image of the corners so they look OK in all four (not being symetrical, they may look a bit odd), some people might be able to print out in mirror image by setting this up in your print management instructions.  However, Canon printers don't have this facility (well mine doesn't anyway), so instead you have to tell the printer you are printing on Tee-shirt transfer paper - (which needs to be printed in mirror image) - and thats the way to get round it.  If you want any of the images printed out in a mirror image for what ever reason - just select tee-shirt transfer paper in the drop down menu (rather than plain paper or photo paper - whatever you print on regularly).


I must admit to liking somewhat of a clean and simple (CAS) card - which is really difficult to do sometimes - what with the luscious scrummy papers that Anice brings us - however, used in a certain way - you can achieve the look and full injection of colour and still indulge in a bit of CAS.  Well I believe so anyhow.  What do you think?  I'll be displaying some of the other cards on my blog in the next couple of days.

If you haven't taken the plunge so far, or haven't got anything by 'Funky Hand' to be able to join in, go HERE where you will find a very generous freebie from Anice, the designer of all the Funky Hand CD's and papers.  There are only 2 more days in which to be able to obtain the freebie - and also to join in so hurry if you don't want to miss out.  You must have entered your card before midnight on the 14th October because on the 15th, another challenge is will start.

Remember - at least ONE element/item in your project must be from Funky Hand.  If there isn't, then unforunately (and this is quite sad) - you won't be considered a contender for the prize - winners are announced on the morning of the 15th - just before the launch of the brand new challenge for the month.

Well, I think that's it from me for another month, so thanks for reading - and for all the entries made so far.

Happy crafting

Paula x x x

P.S.  Look out for more shows coming up on Create and Craft with Anice and the Happy Happy Birthday CD  - Saturday 22nd October at 11am and 4pm or check Anice's blog for details just in case these times change.

4 comments:

  1. Two great cards - I like the top one first - nice layout. Thanks for the tip about printing corners

    ReplyDelete
  2. Both of these cards are beautiful Paula, and all made from left overs! Amazing, thanks for the inspiration.
    Anice xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really beautiful cards Paula. I like the first one. Really pretty.
    Ax

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous cards Paula! And such a fab tip about reversing images! :)

    ReplyDelete

We hope you have enjoyed the paper craft inspiration from the Funky Hand Design Team. Leave a comment, we'd love to hear from you.