20 February, 2014

How to make paper roses.

Hi everyone Anice here again,

I don't know about you but I always love seeing those amazing creations where the crafter has created their own coordinating roses. This month I thought I would share a technique that I have only just learned. Making paper roses. So, rather than me chatting on lets get on with the tut.

OK, these are the roses that I made using this technique,


So, to get started you need to cut out four flower shapes that have six petals.  I realised that there is a template on the Funky Hand CD Wishes and Kisses that provided just what I needed.  I picked a paper from one of the collections on that CD, but you could use any of the papers from any of the Papercraft Factory CDs that you have on your PC.


You need the flower shapes, a pair of scissors and wet glue.  I printed these onto normal photocopying paper but the better paper you print on the better quality flowers you will get.


Cut out the four flower shapes and ink around the edges of them.  You don't have to ink them but I think it gives them a nice finished look at the end.  The other flowers that you have printed can be saved for another time.


Once you have cut out the flower shapes cut a large circle out the middle of each of them.  Try to do it a little better than I have in this picture!  My 'circles' are more pear shaped.


Next, roll down the ends of each the petals using a tooth pick or something like that. Whatever you have to hand in your craft box.  I used my 'brad hole maker' Be careful if you do the same as me..it's pretty sharp, I have the pricks on my fingers to prove it!


This is where it gets slightly more complicated, not that much though!  Cut the four flower shapes into separate 'petals' as above in the image. It's simple, leave one flower shape whole.(No1)  The next one, cut out one petal. (That's No2 and No6)  The third cut off  two petals, (No3 and No5) Finally, cut the fourth flower shape in half, three petals (No4)  The other three petals set aside.  You don't need them for this flower. You will also notice that there is a circle of paper.  This is to stick your flower petals on to.


Next, folding the flower shapes gently sticking each one together. Do this by overlapping and gluing two petals on each shape as you see above. I've attached the first flower shape to the base circle in this picture.  No6, the single petal, is a little tricky as it has to roll up on just itself but take your time you will be able to do it.

To create the flower just layer each set of petals in size inside of each other adding glue carefully to the edges before you stick them.  Make sure that you allow the glue to dry a little before adding the next one.  If you are lucky enough to have a glue gun, this is the time to get it out.  If you don't, like me, you can still do it.  As you add each section of the flower remember to twist it slightly so the petals don't all sit in a line.


Here is the purple rose and a brown one 'I made earlier'!. I think it would be a good idea to print a backing paper on the reverse of the original sheet of flower shapes before you cut them out as you wouldn't then get any flashes of white underneath the petals.

I think they have turned out pretty well.  I still need some more practice and if you know anything about me, you will know that my right hand doesn't work that well, so if I can make these with one and a half hands just think what you can do!

I'm off to use these on a project.  I'll pop back in a few days and show you what I have made.

I hope that this has inspired you to give making a paper rose ago. Let me know what you think by leaving a comment below.  I always love to hear what you have to say. Until next time.
Anice x

4 comments:

  1. These are great Anice.Great step by steps too.It has inspired me to make some as it's been a while.Hugs Debbie x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great Debbie. I've just started as I said in the blog post but I think I'll be making them alot now! When you have made some why not post them on the Funky Hand Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/funkyhand I'm sure everyone would like to take a look. x

      Delete
  2. Fabulous, I am not good making flowers like this x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so pleased that this has helped you Rusty. I'm never very good at this sort of creation either. If I can do it..anyone can!
      Anice x

      Delete

We hope you have enjoyed the paper craft inspiration from the Funky Hand Design Team. Leave a comment, we'd love to hear from you.