27 January, 2011

Funky Fifteenth: Going Round in Circles, Kathy's turn...

We hope you're enjoying the new look Get Funky Challenge blog.   Allison is the "hostess" this month and we've been Going Round In Circles ever since.  As well as asking you to join in and make something Funky with Circles this month, we're all taking a turn at showing you our own project. So far there have been ideas from Allison, Jules, Lou and Anice and today it's my turn (Kathy) to show you what I've made for Allison's CHALLENGE -check the link to find out how to join in and be in with a chance of winning a Funky Hand voucher.

I've made a handbag shaped card
I've used papers from the Colour Me Happy CD, plus the Funky Freebie for this month (see the sidebar for more info). Anice  designed the freebie using the colour palette from the "Blissful Baby" colour palette, so I thought I'd make use of this extra design for my project.

It's such an easy card to make - all you need is an old CD and a sheet of A4 card.  To start with I printed one of the paper designs on one side of my card so that I could scan the pattern diagram on the white side.  Fold the sheet in half, open it out and draw a line 1cm either side of the fold line. Now draw around the CD, so that the edge of the disc is 0.5cm from the centre fold line. Repeat for the other side as shown - if you use the long edge of the sheet of card as guide you won't need to add more guide lines to get the circles in line.
Cut around the whole thing so that you end up with this shape:
If you look closely you'll see some little holes - at either end - they were for the ribbon handles I was going to add before I changed my mind!
Make the folds so that the base of your bag is formed, then use another of the patterned papers for a "lining. If you make a paper pattern for the whole shape first, you could simply print your lining design on the other side of your card and use the pattern to cut the whole thing in one go iyswim

To make the handles I printed one of the aqua designs on both sides of another sheet of card.
I used 2 sizes of Nestability labels 9 dies to cut the shape.  I just cut off the part I didn't need and rounded the "raw" edges. You could hand-cut a handle shape or use ribbon as I'd originally planned.
Decorate your bag however you like - I've used some of the Funky Freebie paper on the lower section of the bag - I love the circles design Anice has created especially for this month's giveaway

The little bag charm ties around the back and front handles to hold the card together.  I used some narrow ricrac braid and one of the bits of aqua card that was left over from cutting the handles.

To make the flower, use some double sided paper (I printed on both sides of my favourite double sided printer paper which is brilliant for using with Funky Hand designs).
Cut 5 or 6 circles - you can make them plain, use a smallish scalloped circle die (Cuttlebug or Nestie etc) or use a punch as I've done here.
Crumple all the circles up tightly then carefully straighten them out again
pile them all up, make a hole through the centre and poke a brad through all the layers. as in pic 3
To finish, crumple each layer up into the middle - you get a better result if you do each one separately.
Add a blob of glue to the centre of the back and stick to the tag, "fluff" out the petals till you get a shape you like then add some pearls or other bling and it's ready to tie around the handles of your finished handbag card
I hope this has inspired you to have a go at making a handbag card of your own -  I also hope we're all inspiring you to join in with our challenge this month.  
The one rule we have  is that you use at least one Funky Hand paper or extra on your challenge entry.  If you don't own any Funky Hand papers yet, head over to www.funkyhand.com and find the freebie paper designed especially for this challenge.  Here's the link directly to it http://www.funkyhand.com/craft-downloads/backing-papers/funky-freebie  Each freebie is only available for the duration of that month's challenge and a new one will be appear on 15th Feb along with the next challenge.

Remember to add your entry for this month's Going Round in Circles challenge to Allison's original challenge blog post  HERE
Switch your TV on for  Create and Craft on Sunday 30th January at 10am and you will be in the right place for the launch of the BRAND NEW Funky Hand CD "Craft the Year Away".  The DT have been using it for the last week or so and we're all raving about how fab it is, and we just LOVE the wonderful new features that have been incorporated.  Set your machine to record the programme, you won't want to miss this one!
Thanks for looking hope you enjoyed my project.  It'll be Debs along on Sunday with your next dollop of Funky inspiration :)

6 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing how you made those wonderful flowers..I'm off to see if I can make them half as good as you do!
    Anice xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous project and I agree with Anice, I don't think I'll ever manage to make flowers like yours ! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great tutorial Kathy .. .. love the bag with the funky flower!!

    Love Jules xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous card, I love the idea, i'm definitely going to make a cd handbag card and attempt some of those pretty flowers too! TFS. Ni :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kathy, the flower is grreat!) Absolutely clear tutorial, thank U! Not sure to be so crafty to do the bag-card, but who knows LOL...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooh you are clever :) I love those papers together.

    ReplyDelete

We hope you have enjoyed the paper craft inspiration from the Funky Hand Design Team. Leave a comment, we'd love to hear from you.